Crohns-Sanity

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

WELCOME ALL MEMBERS AND VISITORS!

Happy Birthday to all the November Crohnies! 

Visit us on your Smart Phone using TapaTalk or try the new version for Tablets!     

We have a Member Map available on the Forum.  Add your location within your Profile Page.

Check out the DOWNLOADS tab for great music at our main web page, www.crohns-sanity.org.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Permanent Disability, Anyone?  (Read 1841 times)

cnt

Permanent Disability, Anyone?
« on: September 22, 2005, 07:21:48 AM »

Hey all,

I am wondering if anyone here has any expierence with applying for permanent disability because of thier Crohn's disease? I am hoping that I don't have to go down that road, and that my upcoming surgery gets me feeling better. But there is a chance that the surgery might now help, and this may be something I serioiusly have to look into.

I have heard that it is very hard to prove you are permantly disabled with an IBD disease like Crohn's or Colitis. Has anyone on here ever had any expierence with this, or know anyone who has? I know that you have to have a doctor that can prove that you will never be able to do your job or a similar job ever again because of your disease. But I would love to be able to hear from anyone who has gone through this process and what it involved.

Thanks in advance for any help
CJ

clint

• Super Pooper
  • Morning After
Re: Permanent Disability, Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 07:57:12 AM »

A couple of member got disability, but I think they had to get an attorney to represent them to get it. Bonnie where are you for this question?

clint
I take life with a grain of Salt, a wedge of Lime and a shot of Tequila.

Jiggy

• Super Pooper
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 09:46:36 AM »

CJ I suggest you go to either CCFA's website or http://www.advocacyforpatients.org/index.php to order the book Know Your Rights: A Handbook for Patients with Chronic Illness, its written by the woman(lawyer) that runs the advocacy site, Jennifer Jaff, and it has a TON of info in it. Chances are you will not get permanent disability but will have to be reviewed every 3-5 years. The good news is that they are changing the review process as well as the initial approval or denial process to update with newer guidelines to help us not have to fight as hard as we used to. Even if you don't order the book you should look around the site I posted above as there is alot of info there that may be helpful to you. I know Jennifer has been such a HUGE blessing in my life and many others and she suffers with crohns also so knows what we go thru. I wish I had her help when I went thru my SSDI mess. Hope this helps ya.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

cnt

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 10:48:50 AM »

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. Jiggy, thanks for the site info. I am definately going to go check it out. Right now I am hoping that my upcoming surgery helps and I don't have to worry about being out of work to much longer. However, there is a very real possiblity that it might not fix everything. I need to be back to work by Dec. 5th or my disability from work runs out. So, I just want to start researching my options so I am more prepared should it come to this. With a wife and two kids, I can't be without an income. Thanks again guys. Anymore advice would be greatly appreciated.

CJ

dawnb71

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 04:47:57 PM »

Clint i know Jennie has applied for it but she hasn't got an answer yet, apparently it takes ages for decision  :dunno: she's offline at the moment, due not having a phone but i will mention it to her as soon as she's back ...... good luck

InvisibleUmbra

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 08:25:33 PM »

I am eligible for it, because I suffer from some other illnesses besides Crohns. However, I refuse to take advantage of it.

Earl

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 05:57:09 AM »

I have been on disability since 1998. This is my second time on disability. The first time was around 1975 to 1983. I thought it was permanent the frist time. What a suprise when after my doctors told me I would never work again they told me to get a job.

Getting on has a lot to do with the doctors here. I never had to get an attorney either time. But did have to play the waiting game. Have to be off work for 6 months and prove that you will be off for at lease 6 months more.

The first time my daughter was only 1 year old and I had to go on welfare tilll I could get on SSD. I did have money saved up this time (spent it all and then some) to hold us over.

Talk it over with your doctors first. If they are not behind you it's an up hill battle.

Earl

cnt

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 07:51:43 AM »

Once again thanks for the replies guys. Believe me, this is not something that I want to take advantage of or go on at all. I want more than anything else to get better again and be able to go back to work, which I love, and go back to taking care of my boys. I am just asking the question because it is getting close to the date where my short term disability is running out, and I need to be prepared just in case this up coming surgery does not work. Hopefully, the surgery will be a sucess, I will be able to recover in the coming weeks, and once recovered I will be able to go back to working the overnight shift and than picking my boys up from day care and take care of them for the day. I miss being able to go to work. But even more, I miss being able to take care of my boys. There is nothing worse to me than to not be able to take care of them right now. Sure financially it has been very hard having them in day care all day, but even more than that, just not being able to raise them and be the father that I love being, has been the hardest thing  on me throughout this illness this time.

thanks again
CJ

Earl

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 08:38:45 AM »

I know how you feel. Not working was the hardest thing I had to get used to. In fact the first time around when I started to feel better I was starting to think about ending it all. I had worked all my life and not working was more than I could handle. I had to find something to do to keep busy. So I started to do crafts and fix things for other people. (Small tvs, radios etc.)

I wish we had the internet back then. Better yet 42 years ago when I first got Crohns.

Earl
Pages: [1]   Go Up